Solar irrigation technology has the potential to increase the productivity of smallholder farmers in Kenya and across Africa fivefold or more while simultaneously promoting sustainable agriculture.
Smallholder farmers heavily rely on rain-fed agriculture that is both unpredictable and continues to suffer shocks of climate change.
With sustainable irrigation solutions, farmers are able to farm up to 3 cycles of high-value short-term crops like onions, organic vegetables, and horticulture. Onions, for example, can yield up to 20 tonnes a year (3 cycles) on a small farm of 0.5-acre farm with irrigation, this translates into increased earnings of up to $10,000 a year from less than $1000 farmers currently earn.
Working with our partners, we conducted an intensive pilot study. From the study, we learned that for solar irrigation to be viable and sustainable, there is a need to make the technologies functional, available, practical, affordable, and profitable to smallholder farmers. As a result, we have a long-term partnership with Swiss-based Ennos, on the award-winning sunlight pump and Epicenter Africa to offer a bundle of irrigation solutions to these farmers.
To solve the challenge of initial cost of acquisition for the smallholder farmers, we have pioneered a crowdfunding model that enables investors from across the world to finance farmer acquisition. Through a “Pay-As-You-Farm, farmers are able to pay for the solar pump in more structured way without putting a strain on their household income.
Further Ifarm offers a bundle of value-add services that support farmer payment while guaranteeing return on investment for both the farmer and the investor. This includes supporting the farmer throughout the production period, agri-finance, climate smart updates and access to markets for their produce.
We are offering you an exclusive opportunity to participate in this impact investing opportunity. Benefits of participating in this climate-smart investment
• Partnering with smallholder farmers to power food security
• Support adoption of sustainable agricultural practices
• Invest in smallholder farming households who by adopting solar solutions they mitigate over 20,000 tons of CO2 annually.
• As an investor this is a huge carbon offsetting opportunity for you. Investment methodology
• Minimum investment of $200, Ksh. 22,000, maximum of $10,000 with annual return of 10% for a period of 24 months.
• Join our exclusive carbon offsetting investment club, where you invest from as low as $200, with 0% interest payable in one year. As category investor, you get an opportunity to carbon offset your own activities by supporting farmers who would otherwise adopt emitting irrigation solutions.
• As a member, you join our list of investor who receive carbon offsetting points redeemable for curated prizes and recognition certificate signed by our climate action ambassador. Click here to join carbon offsetting investment club.
Ennos' sunlight pump addresses smallholder farmer needs:
• Modular all-in-one solution
• High water output, delivery head up to 40m
• Simple operation, complete automation
• Mobile app and Bluetooth connection to smartphones
• Practically no wearing parts
• Multiple configuration options
• Low maintenance needs
• Excellent after-sales support
• 10+ year lifespan
• Warranty for 24 months after installation
• No running costs
In Kenya, Ennos long-term local partner and distributor Epicenter Africa is responsible for installation, maintenance and technical support of the solar-powered pumps. Support is provided remotely, through the pump app or on site, if needed.
Ifarm360 is thrilled to kick of the collaboration with Ennos and Epicentre on this environmentally sustainable project.
Find here more details on the pump
See our investor contract here
Investing at ifarm360 is very simple: